Lake Buena Vista, FL – Navigating a rickety footbridge suspended over a river chasm can be a white-knuckle experience. For explorers on an all-new Disney adventure, what lurks below their bridge may quicken their step to get to the other side: crocodiles! A ravine of menacing-looking crocs, pools of hippos, bushwalks along untracked terrain and other thrills await guests on Wild Africa Trek, a unique wildlife experience into the deepest, most-remote reaches of Disney’s Animal Kingdom near Orlando.
Reservations can be made for the three-hour, expert-led adventure that immerses guests in the realms and wildlife thrills of far-off Africa – without leaving Walt Disney World Resort. In small groups, guests on Wild Africa Trek enjoy an “up-close-and-personal” experience with African wildlife species that make their home in Pangani Forest as well as other areas of the park’s Harambe Wildlife Reserve.
As part of the adventure, guests clip onto a lifeline as they step to the very edge of a cliff to get amazingly close to the hippos and crocs waiting just below. Talk about cliff-hangers!
“Adventure-minded guests will have the experience of a lifetime as they get immersed in an authentic African safari experience that only Disney can deliver,” said Michael Colglazier, vice president of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. “We are thrilled to be offering this unique outdoor adventure aimed at active vacationers, taking interactions with the incredible animals that inhabit the Harambe Reserve to the next level and literally blazing new trails in our park.”
Highlights of what’s in store for guests on this add-on adventure:
- Trekking with experienced guides through areas of Harambe Wildlife Reserve that aren’t explored during regular Disney’s Animal Kingdom experiences.
- Navigating winding pathways through dense fern, bamboo and vine forests on a bushwalk that sets a course for adventure.
- Clipping into a harness attached to a safety line, crossing two swaying, seemingly precarious rope bridges over the Safi River and cliff-hanging at the edge of gullies that are home to hippos and crocodiles. /li>
- After pausing at an overlook above the grasslands for breathtaking views, boarding customized open-air vehicles that course through the vastness of a magnificent savanna. Extended time is allotted for animal viewing with expert guides.
- Unwinding from an unforgettable adventure at a private safari camp for viewing of wildebeest and giraffe, elephants and gazelles, eland and antelope. At this station elevated above the savanna, guests savor a panorama of wildlife and sample tastes of Africa as their adventure draws to a relaxing and satisfying close.
- Wild Africa Trek is offered several times daily at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Groups are kept small, consisting of no more than 12 trekkers per safari.
Reservations for Wild Africa Trek (ages 8 and up) can be arranged by calling 407/WDW-TOUR (939-8687). Pricing for this unique adventure will vary seasonally and starts at $189 per person. Park admission is required for tour participants. Included is services of a Disney photographer to capture special trek memories. Each reservation will receive a code redeemable online for one Disney’s PhotoPass PhotoCD, which will include all of the trek photos.
Trekkers help give back to the animals, too. Disney makes a contribution on behalf of tour participants and each trekker gets to choose where the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund will direct those funds: to help rhinos, big cats or elephants.
For more information, visit Disneyworld.com/disneyafricatrek.
Originally Published on June 3rd, 2011